Let me ask you a question – would you go to any dentist in any town for your routine check-up? Are you happy to go to any hairdresser who has an appointment? The answer will be no! – We do business with those we like, know, and trust! As customers we want to know if we can like, know and trust the companies we buy from, so in this series we ask the person behind some of my favourite natural and organic companies to step out into the spotlight.
As customers we want to know if we can ‘like, know, and trust’ the companies we buy from, so in this series we ask the person behind some of my favourite natural and organic companies to step out into the spotlight.
It’s the turn of Janet and David from Soapy Skin Ltd.
Tell us about yourself and your company… How did you get started?
After years of suffering with eczema, David decided to formulate his own recipe for natural skincare. His goal was to create a cleanser that didn’t irritate his already dry and itchy skin. Over the summer he researched the ingredients that he believed could create a solution to his sensitive skin and tried and tested many recipes. When the Goats’ Milk Honey Oats Soap worked for him by clearing the eczema and providing him with the much needed relief, he wanted to share his solution with others. Together we set up the business and left our careers to pursue our passion for creating a natural skincare range for sensitive skin, and in doing so help to alleviate the pain and stress related to those conditions.
What were you doing in a previous life?
Before setting up Soapy Skin, David was a Design Engineer, working on projects for the Armed Forces, Pharmaceutical Industry and the Motor Industry. As for myself, I was an English Teacher in a secondary school.
Why natural / organic / sustainable?
During David’s research, it very quickly became apparent that to aid the healing of his sore and irritated skin, he was going to have to eradicate all the ingredients that were exasperating this unpleasant condition. The numerous harsh chemicals that are used in the skincare industry is alarming; when digging deeper into the reason why they are used we were saddened by the findings – yes, it is down to profit. This only heightened our desire to create a product range that didn’t focus purely on the bottom line. A company that would stand out for providing a natural skincare range that was created using pure and ethically sourced ingredients – a company that has values and genuinely cares for its customers.
What’s your USP? What sets you apart from your competitors?
With an ever increasing demand for natural products that are free from harsh chemicals such as SLS, Parabens and EDTA, we offer beautiful natural handmade soaps specially designed for people with skin conditions, including eczema, psoriasis and acne. In the production of our Goats’ Milk Honey Oats Soap, there are added skin conditioning ingredients that soothe, moisturise and protect the skin:
- We are an Eco-friendly company who use biodegradable cardboard for our soap and shampoo boxes. No more plastic shampoo bottles that continuously contribute to the landfill mass.
- We only use ethically sourced ingredients from sustainable sources. The palm oil that we use in our soaps is RSPO (Roundtable Sustainable Palm Oil) Certified so our customers can be re-assured that we are not contributing to the destruction of the rainforest, and the habitat of the orangutans is duly protected.
- For Vegans, we have a holistic range of soaps that is made from coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil and Shea butter. Added to this are 100% pure essential oils and natural colouring. There is no ingredients from animal sources in our holistic range.
- Furthermore, our soaps are free from animal cruelty. All supporting the beliefs of the Vegan customer.
- We have a range of soaps that is even gentle enough for babies. Our customers give us feedback on how they are using the Goats’ Milk Honey Oats Soap on their babies and children who are suffering with eczema, and it is helping to clear it up
- The Goats’ Milk Honey Oats Soap is helping to clear the complexion of those who have struggled with acne.
What kind of feedback have you received from clients?
“I really, really love this soap! My eczema is disappearing. It is totally magic and I will not hesitate to introduce it to my friends and family who have the same problem. Thanks to my niece for telling me about it!!!” – Chichi
“I have suffered for years with eczema on my hands. I must have tried every so called remedy going without success. The reviews for this were encouraging so I thought I would give it a go. OMG it actually works. After just one day my hands felt softer and less itchy. Two weeks later and the results are unbelievable. My hands are so soft and my eczema has almost gone. This has boosted my confidence as I don’t have to hide my hands when out in public. I can hold hands with my husband without having to wear gloves. In conjunction with using this soap I moisturise my hands overnight. At last I have found the answer to my eczema problem. I would definitely recommend to anyone suffering with eczema” – Valmax
“This soap is very good on the skin. I used it on my baby who suffers from eczema, and within 3 days of using it his eczema had almost disappeared. I could recommend this soap to anyone with dry sensitive skin and to eczema suffers. I really love it thank you for this product.” – Julien
“More than just perfect!!!! I love this soap. It has really changed my life. From tears to joy! My face was all covered in severe acne for over 12 years. I tried everything under the sun to no avail. Used this soap for 8 weeks and my skin is as clear & soft as a new baby’s. It’s a prayer answered.” – BM
What’s the next big launch / project coming up for you?
We are working on creating new products, with a dry body oil and a blooming bath oil to be launched for Christmas. We are also going to offer personalised gift sets, where the customer can include a personal note in the gift box.
What’s your big dream?
The dream is for Soapy Skin to be recognised as providing a premium range of natural skincare from ingredients that are ethically sourced. We would love Soapy Skin to be the name people turn to when they are looking for a solution that helps to ease the distress caused from sensitive skin including eczema, psoriasis, acne and itchy dry skin.
Where can we find your products?
Amazon – UK and Germany
‘Not on the High Street’
- The Eighth Day Co-operative Ltd, 111 Oxford Road, Manchester
- Sunlight Apothecary, 16 Water Street, Todmorden, Yorkshire.
- Newport Pharmacy, 61-65 Newport Street, Bolton.
- Ramsbottom Library, Carr Street, Ramsbottom.
- Euphoria Hairdressers, Leagate, Harwood, Bolton.
- Village Greens Community Co-op, Bury New Road, Prestwich, Manchester.
- Millmark Foods and Health Clinic, 101 Main Street, Frodsham.
- Gifty, 484 Bury Old Road, Prestwich, Manchester.
- Clouds, 109/110 Upper Egerton Walk, Ellesmere Shopping Centre, Walkden, Manchester.
- Farrars Café and Tea Room, Radcliffe Market Hall, Blackburn Street, Radcliffe.
Recently, we have agreed a contract with a distributor who covers South East Asia. Our products are now available in countries such as Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong and Indonesia.