What if there was a safe, natural herb that could work wonders for so many ailments and have such a healing effect on our bodies. Well there is and it’s Turmeric.
It’s been found to have numerous health benefits and healing properties and has been shown to:
- Ease arthritis pain, due to its anti-inflammatory properties
- Help the liver detoxify by enhancing liver function, and also enhances the flow of bile (aka gallstone prevention!)
- Boost blood circulation, and also thins the blood (CAUTION to those already on a blood-thinning medication)
- Heal and soothe the digestive tract, and even help prevent ulcers due to the antiseptic properties
- Reduce the pain and fever associated with illness
Curcumin is a derivative of turmeric, and the pigment that gives the spice its yellow-orange colour. It’s a natural compound that has been extensively researched, and has been found to kill several types of cancer cells in the laboratory. In animals, Curcumin prevents or slows cancer in the skin, breast, liver, fore-stomach, duodenum and colon. Curcumin also has anti-angiogenic properties; translation: Curcumin seriously slows new blood vessel formation in tumors, causes asphyxiation of tumors and thus preventing their growth and metastases.
Because of all the healing and beneficial properties mentioned above Turmeric is a great powerhouse for ant-ageing.
Here is how to make this delicious healing and anti-aging coconut turmeric smoothie, courtesy of Food Matters:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tsp ground turmeric (or freshly grated)
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy!